About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
We live and love to create! Click on the pictures for purchasing information

Total Page Views

Monday, July 18, 2011

I Love English Paper Piecing!!!


The verdict is in - I love English Paper Piecing! Who would have thought it would be possible, that extra work would be more fun? I like that the method is more precise than machine sewing, and even hand piecing... and I can do it at work! The edges are already finished and easy to whip stitch to the other hexes, and I don't have to deal with seam allowances. I'm saying this under the guise of just making one flower using this method. On the 2nd picture, I removed the paper template from the yellow center to see how easy it was to remove... and it was easy. I'm going to hole punch the center of all my paper templates, so they can be easier to pop out. I'm also going to use a large paper clip to hold the fabric onto the template while I'm basting it on. I don't like the pin holes from the straight pins.

I also decided to embroider designs all over the quilt because I'm using solid colored fabrics. I purchased a couple of really cool embroidery books from my favorite store on Earth:
1. Embroidered Effects: Projects and Patterns to Inspire Your Stitching (Sublime Stitching) by Jenny Hart

2. Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To by Jenny Hart

3. Sublime Stitching Craft Pad by Jenny Hart

4. Doodle Stitching: The Motif Collection: 400+ Easy Embroidery Designs by Aimee Ray

The designs in these books are really cool and contemporary. I also ordered from Jenny Hart's website Sublime Stitching. As usual, I went a little overboard. I'm loving the contemporary designs, so I ordered 4 sets (Fantasy Flowers, Rock 'n' Roll, Bon Voyage, Sexy Librarians; pink scissors, a transfer pen, and glow in the dark thread.) I will do the embroidery on the finished flowers, before I stitch them together for the quilt top. I can't wait.

Stay tuned. I have a lonnnng way to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment