I finished! I'm so happy. It's not perfect, and it's such a study in what not to do (must match up seams!!!) The binding kicked my azz. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to line up the edges for the bias binding. It was like putting a puzzle together. Finally, it all came together. I loved doing the blindstitch. The quilt is not as big as I anticipated it to be, after trimming off about 3 inches, which I used for the binding. Had I finished it when I finished the quilt top back in 1995, it would have maybe taken me a month to complete the whole thing... not 16 years! I'll be packing it up and sending it to my daughter.
I've started rotary cutting the 1" hexagons for my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.
I'm going for a queen sized quilt. I purchased the Inklingo software system by Linda Franz, where you can print shapes directly onto fabric with a regular inkjet printer. The concept is good, but it's a bit of a hassle when trying to print on jelly roll strips, which are 2.5" wide. I think it's good to print on full sized sheets of fabric (8.5 x 11). I have fallen in love with the Easy Hexagon ruler by Sharon Hultgren. I absolutely love it. It's so easy to make the hexagons. Flip the fabric once, flip the ruler once, and rotary cut those suckers out! I'll still use the Inklingo software for the future fat quarters I'll buy (my yellow centers and green paths). Live and learn. With the leftover hexies (from cutting them from a jelly roll strip, I can get 16 one inch hexies), I'll use them for the edge of the quilt, and I'm going to use the English Paper Piecing method (using the papers inside). I think I'm going to machine piece the rest of the quilt... it depends. I'm predicting that this will take me no more than 2-3 months... no more than that!