About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
We live and love to create! Click on the pictures for purchasing information

Total Page Views

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Machine Quilting - My First Attempt






What was I thinking? Why did I think I could undertake this project? Why did I think it was going to be so easy? Stuffing "the beast" under the machine is close to impossible. Starting from the center IS impossible. Trust and believe that the first picture is for show. Me actually sewing on it looks totally different. It's all bunched up and crunched up. After my first full hour of sewing, I'm happy to say that I'm pleased with the results (see bottom right photo). It's so not perfect (see bottom left photo), but for my first attempt at "stitching in the ditch" on a monstrous, larger than a California king quilt, I'm happy, and that's saying a lot for my perfectionist tendencies. I don't think it's going to take that long to finish this beast. For those interested, I'm sewing with Schmetz 75/11s, with cotton machine quilting thread, and I'm using a Brother SA107 walking foot. I trimmed off enough of the backing to make a nice biased binding. Next quilt will not be as big. I don't have enough floor space for the basting. It's like it's the quilt blob... lol, taking over everything in its path. More machine quilting in the morning before I go to work, and more when I get home tomorrow night. It's challenging as heck, but it's so fun. I'm really obsessing about the grandmother's flower garden quilt. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment