About Me

My photo
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
We live and love to create! Click on the pictures for purchasing information

Total Page Views

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Beadweaving by Loom

First bead kit, Darice 1012-24 Bead Loom Kit, $7.94, Amazon.com

Just My Style Wooden Bead Weaving Loom Set, $10, Wal-Mart

I'm diligently working on my practice beadweaving. I've discovered, as a new bead weaver, that I DON'T LIKE CULLING BEADS (removing the beads that don't fit the needle eye)!! Now I see why the Delica beads are coveted. They're all a uniform size, and they (probably) have uniform hole. I haven't used Delica beads yet, so I'm going off of reviews and other beading blogs and sites. So far so good. I know I'll need smaller needles. The needles in the kits don't specify what size they are. As you can see, there are more goodies with the Wal-Mart kit than the Amazon.com kit. I think the Wal-Mart kit is a toy, but I'm going to use it for serious jewelry making. The Wal-Mart purchased loom is much wider than the Amazon kit, but I love having both of them. I only went to Wal-Mart to see if they had any beads, and I lucked up on this loom.
I love delving into new projects, because I discover new things. The kits contain various colored beads, but white thread, so I know, going forward, that I'll need to coordinate the color of beading thread. I've already ordered beads for Karen's bracelet, from Auntie's Beads. I like the prices, the fact that you can pay with your PayPal account, and the shipping is fast. I hope to have the beads before Christmas. So far, I'm loving bead weaving on the loom. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to bead weaving and have both of the looms pictured here. Which one did you like best? I'm having a little trouble with taking the piece off and putting a clasp on. I've done a couple of projects that were so so, but I do love the bead weaving. It's relaxing. Anyway, do you have any tips or advice?

    ReplyDelete